Friday, March 7, 2008

Oprah and Eckhart

Tonight I watched the web class presented by Oprah and Eckhart Tolle. The class is based on Tolle's book called A New Earth, Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. The thing that moved me the most is that over 700,000 people signed up to participate in this class. It is thrilling that all of these people had some interest in their own awakening. Both Eckhart and Oprah were very candid and direct about their own experience with awakening. I highly recommend this class as a powerful experience of growth and learning in an internet community of spiritual seekers. (oprah.com) The energy transmitted during the class was palpable . My heart was very open by the end of it. I loved Eckhart's teaching on stillness. He quotes the old testament, "Be still and know that I am God." To him this means that in the stillness beyond thought within us, our consciousness blooms. It is why creating a time of contemplation or meditation no matter how short is a conduit for developing the muscle of returning to our center; that still quiet place within where we can recognize ourselves as being more than just our personality. Tolle suggests being aware of flowers because in their simple beauty they are messengers of spiritual energy. Oprah talked about how meaningful nature in any form is to her and brings her closer to her own presence. She especially likes hanging out with trees. When I am in the mountains my heart opens and I feel a sense of expansiveness. My temple is the mountains. I also feel very connected with all there is when I am being with moving water. I feel the best when I hang out with moving water every day and go to the mountains once a week. Bliss is a mountain hike with a stream running through it. How do you access nature in your life? How could you create more?

No comments: