Wednesday, October 8, 2008

So Anyone May Eat

Today I went to a restaurant that a yoga teacher colleague told me about. It is on Colfax and Race so I could walk from the yoga studio after teaching my class. It's called SAME. That stands for so anyone may eat. It is a donation based eatery. You eat their delicious organic vegetarian fare and pay whatever you chose to pay. The people who work there are all volunteers. You can also work for an hour to pay for a meal. It was exciting to see a group of people who have a dream bringing it to reality. Because I was so busy eating I didn't find out who this group is. The people working there were very warm and generous. This adventure was a gift to myself. When I heard about it on Saturday I thought, That would be fun to take myself there after class. I put it on my calendar. Another teacher asked me to help her with a project she is doing for the studio today after my class.
Sometimes I erase myself from my schedule if I think someone else needs me more. Instead I told her about the adventure I had planned and that I would be glad to help her afterwards. I invited her to come with me. She chose to stay and work on the project. I felt a little guilty because what I was chosing to do instead wasn't an appointment with someone or even a task on my to do list. In this culture it is rare that a person says they can't do something because they want the time for themselves.
I do know of some rare progressive work places where you can say you want the day for yourself and that is acceptable. The people I feel the safest with are the ones I can say, "Thanks for inviting me. I'd like to and I really want the time to myself. "
After I walked to my adventure, ate and walked back I helped with the project. Seva means service. Because I took the time to do something I planned to do for myself, doing seva for the studio was easy and fun. In the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, she talks about making an artist's date with yourself on a regular basis. Her idea is to create an activity that supports you as an artist like taking yourself to the art museum. I am interested in continuing to make dates with myself. Does this sound appealing to you? Is there an adventure you'd like to take yourself on? Maybe there's something you want to do that you've been waiting to find someone else to do it with.
Why not do it and enjoy your own company? Let yourself know what a cool person you are to hang out with.

No comments: