Tuesday, October 28, 2008

forest/trees

Do you remember hearing the saying "you can't see the forest for the trees?" It never made sense to me. I was thinking about my experience the other day at the Obama rally and the saying suddenly came alive. The trees, were my expectations about the rally. The forest that I didn't fully see because I was so focused on the trees was the miracle of over 100,000 diverse people taking the time from their lives to come out and rally behind Barack Obama. Barack has often said that this movement isn't about him. He is the vehicle of the movement for change that has awakened in this country. We are this movement. I realized that my focus on being able to see him made it all about him. As I read others' stories the experience of being in that big a crowd with all different kinds of other people who care about this country and want it to be freer to change shines through. Focusing on Barack obscured that from my vision. So, I accept myself for my expectations and my subsequent disappointment. In forgiving myself I let go of the trees and I notice the forest. In the forest of the rally there was a sense that we are all in this together. Our energy is feeding ourselves and each other. We are feeding ourselves hope that we can feel good about the leadership of our government. When something doesn't work out the way I want it to it is easy for my ego to get really loud and tell me that nothing will ever work out the way I want it to again. When I believe what my ego tells me and act as if it is the only truth all I see are the trees. The forest of the bigger picture doesn't even exist. I forget when I buy what my ego tells me about myself and my life that it is a vehicle for awareness of my higher self. The opportunity is presented to me every time I recognize that it is my ego dissing me.
Then I can focus in my circle and breathe into my heart or my third eye and ask for help from my higher self. My ego isn't the bad guy it's only a messenger. The message is,"use me to open to all of who you are." The ego's message of fear and separation is only an invitation to a bigger party. The oneness party beyond fear and separation where we are all divine beings linked together. So, my FGO is about using the ego to grow in awareness of Oneness. Such a deal. Can you relate to this? What is your forest and what are your trees that are keeping you from seeing it? How can you use your focus on the trees to see the big wide forest in all of its spaciousness? In what area of your life do you have an example of already moving from seeing only the trees to an awareness of the vast forest?

No comments: