Thursday, August 28, 2008

Urban Adventure

My friend Wendy and I went on an urban adventure today. We took the lightrail to meditate 08 for the final session which was a deeksha oneness blessing. There were 7 practitioners working with thirty participants. If you remember, deeksha oneness blessings are laying on of hands to bring the energy of oneness. It was very peaceful and I noticed thoughts would arise and be headed off at the pass before I ran with them. That was very freeing. At the end we sent the energy of oneness out to the planet.
It was a wonderful way to end meditate 08. This was the first time in history that a week long interfaith meditation retreat was held near a political convention. I am excited that I got to participate. It was great to be at the opening and the closing.
On the way back we saw thousands of people on the way to Invesco to hear Barack Obama's acceptance speech. All of the streets and highways were closed off. I tried to figure out where they had all put their cars. When the lightrail train pulled up with people packed like sardines, I realized how they were getting there. The trains going out of downtown were also packed to overflowing with people on their way home from downtown with no other easy way out. The energy was electric. It was so exciting to be in such a large group of people with so much enthusiasm for the political process. There was such a variety of Obama t-shirts. This is an amazing time. After I finally got home there was an interview on NPR about the texting at the speech. The Obama campaign was asking all the people there to text them. By doing so they collect all the cellphone numbers and then ask for people to forward messages of support for Obama to their cellphone networks. The plan was for younger people to teach older people who had never texted before how to do it. I like that this campaign is being led by passionate young people who are more comfortable using technology.
This campaign is revolutionizing politics by using technology to a greater degree than ever before. In this way millions more people can be reached out to than with traditional methods. All of this is very hopeful. I am very much looking forward to seeing Barack Obama accept the nomination and hearing him speak. I am hoping his presence will open people's hearts to him and to the reality of his being our next President.
I am glad I got to be part of the energy of this historic campaign. I am looking forward to participating more between now and November. I loved my urban adventure. Have you had an adventure lately? How about this weekend?

No comments: