Friday, August 15, 2008

Truth

I got to spent time with Monnya, my daughter, today. Earlier this summer she cleared an issue with me that was hurtful to her about an insensitive thing I did in her childhood. I was able to hear her and sincerely apologize.Since then it is my experience that we are more relaxed with each other. What was already an honest and close relationship transformed into a deeper one.We seem more like two adults,freer to hang out together and be ourselves. It reminded me of
fifteen years ago when I told my mother how deeply it affected me that she repeatedly slapped me in the face when I was growing up.First she got defensive and said that everyone hit their kids then. I said I knew that and it really hurt me. She looked into my eyes and said how sorry she was and that she didn't mean to hurt me. We both cried and held each other and our relationship transformed.We still had plenty of things to work out and something changed. I saw her as a human being who had made a mistake and owned it.My little girl inside got to see that it wasn't something wrong with her that made my mother slap her. Some of the anger and shame I had been carrying my whole life peeled away and my heart was left more open.I am grateful my Mom and I had that clearing and I am grateful to Monnya for clearing with me.The truth really does heal. Is there a truth you would like to share with yourself or another? Can you imagine finding the courage to create more space in your loving heart by telling the truth and setting yourself free?

No comments: