Friday, August 22, 2008

Principle of negative magnetism

When I was riding my bike tonight I was wondering what I would write about when I got home. One reason I love writing on this blog is that is supports me in integrating what I learn. I get to go over what I was moved by or found useful and share it with you. In doing that I get a fresh perspective on the original experience. I highly recommend writing as a theraputic tool to integrate experience. I began writing in a diary when I was eight years old. For fifty years I have found writing in a journal to be like confiding in a dear friend. I have kept them all in a closet in my bedroom. For years I would go back and read part of one and come away feeling that I was still so much the same and also very different. I haven't read one in a long time. I wonder why I am keeping them? It is a comfort and a discomfort that I have a record of my life. One journal is filled with the affirmation I, Andrea, weigh 110 pounds. It is useful to remember how much of my early adulthood was consumed with trying to get my body to be thinner. Eventually I realized that hating my thighs would not make them smaller and I began to accept my body as it was. Then I began to be able to lose weight. That is a good thing to remember. Resistance to what is, is an impediment to change. Only when I am willing to open to accepting what is, is there space for change. It's the principle of negative magnetism of the universe. When I think I need something to be OK (like thinner thighs) I can't have it because if I got thinner thighs I would think I was OK because of my thin thighs. The universe wants me to know that I am OK because I am me not because of what I have. How does the principle of negative magnetism of the universe operate for me now? What do I think I need in order to be OK? Clarity about my relationship. It makes sense that I can't have it because I think I need it to be OK. What if I was OK whether I am clear about my relationship or not? It occurs to me that I am OK regardless of how I feel about my relationship. The way I think I should feel is always something different from what I am feeling.
What if my being OK has nothing to do with my relationship at all? What a novel idea. What do you think you need to have or be or do in order to be OK?
Would it be useful to challenge that belief? How about writing about it?

No comments: