Tuesday, June 17, 2008

self-acceptance

It is so great to get back to work. I feel so blessed that I get to hang out with amazing people and love them. I wish that every person could find work they love as much as I love mine. Tonight I get to go to a PSYCH-K practitioners meeting. It is great fun to get together with other people and practice PSYCH-K with each other. I always learn a lot especially from people who have been doing PSYCH-K much longer than I have. It is exciting to do PSYCH-K because of the shifts that occur so frequently when people balance for the unconscious beliefs that are in the way of what they want in their lives. I was doing PSYCH-K with myself today about an upsetting letter I received. I balanced for I am O.K. with Carol (not her real name). I realized that what I wanted was to feel that I am O.K. with myself regardless of how she feels about me. I can understnd that she can be critical of me and even understand that she feels the way she does. Another person can have their opinion of me either positive or negative and I can still be O.K. with who I am. It is important to take other people's feedback and look for the truth and opportunity to grow in it. I have used this letter to clarify and modify some of my behaviors. That was very helpful. We can take in feedback without taking it on. After the PSYCH-K balance I felt O.K. in the face of her feelings and more centered back in my circle. I appreciate this tool and the others in my toolbox that help me to experience and release what is in the way of well-being and to share that with others.
I appreciate you all continuing to send family and friends to me whom you think my work would be helpful to. It is a joy for me to do the work that I came here to do.

I just read an interesting article in the Yoga Journal wisdom newsletter about self-acceptance and yoga. It talked about how many people especially women have difficulty accepting their bodies are they are. Our culture with its emphasis on youth and thinness make it even more challenging for us to be O.K. with the bodies we have. The article quotes a study of college students that found that yoga with its emphasis on going inside of ourselves can create more growth in positive body image than other more competitive exercise programs. A good yoga class helps us to honor our bodies as they are and to let go of comparing ourselves and our performance. At noon I get to teach yoga. I love creating a safe space for people to stretch and grow. I used to think I could never teach yoga because my body is less flexible than most yoga teachers. Now I think it can be helpful to others that I am a non-threatening non-pretzel. Teaching yoga has helped me to accept my body as it is. Practicing yoga helps me to continue to grow in body mind and spirit. I love sharing that opportunity for growth with my yoga students. If Wednesday at noon works for you and the spirit moves you, come to my class. If you want to find another time check out the Whole Yoga schedule (http://www.wholeyoga.com/) or a studio near you. If you already practice would you find it useful to think about the benefits that yoga has brought to your life?

No comments: