Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yoga for every body

Today in my yoga class there were nine people, five of them were men. Most people think of yoga classes as being all women. Many of these guys are regulars. It is exciting to me that men are starting to warm up to yoga. Stretching and quieting the mind are big plusses in todays world. I am not your usual pretzel bodied yoga teacher. In fact, my hips and shoulders are very tight. I tailor my classes for less flexible people. I think it is less intimidating for men who tend to have tighter less flexible hips than women that My knees are high off the floor in sukasana or easy pose commonly known as crossed legs. Before I did my yoga training I thought that I couldn't teach yoga with my body. In fact I think teaching yoga with my body makes my classes more user friendly. It is important to me to incorporate meditation and breathwork into my classes. I start each class with the same ritual I begin all of my work with. Drawing a circle around yourself in the air symbolizes the creation of sacred space that's made sacred by bringing yourself your own attention.Meditation and pranayama or breathwork build the muscle of using the breath to return the mind to being present in the here and now. This skill is very useful in daily life, especially now when we are all facing the stress of a culture surrounded by fear and tougher economic times.Speaking of tough economic times, my yoga class costs only five dollars. It meets on Wednesdays from 12-1. Doing yoga at noon is a great way to relax from the morning and energize for the afternoon. Please join us at Whole Yoga 1735 E. 17th Ave (17th and Williams http://www.wholeyoga.com/.) It is such a joy for me to teach yoga and to share it with the people who clear time away in their busy lives for a brief respite of peace and movement. Yoga means union. It is the union of body mind and breath. That combination leads to less anxiety, increased productivity and an easier aging process. I love to do yoga. My practice brings me to a more centered place. In this centered place I can more easily access the heart-felt joy that bubbles up within me. My body thanks me every day for allowing it to stretch and move in a centered challenging and calming way. Yours will too. I also do private yoga sessions in my home yoga/meditation studio customized to your body/mind and spirit. Check out yoga or if you already practice appreciate yourself for giving yourself the gift of a richer life.
I will be out of town visiting my Mom and sister and will write again on Monday.

No comments: