Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Being right

Today I was reading Phillip Moffott's book Dancing with Life. The chapter I am reading is about renunciation. He says that renunciatiion is traditionally thought of as following the precepts in Buddhism. These are not killing, taking nothing that isn't freely given, practicing nonharming speech and sexuality, and not clouding the mind with intoxicants.
Phillip talks about another kind of renunciation. That is renunciating the attachments of the ego. The first one is letting go of the attachment to being right. I am aware in my relationships that a large percent of disharmony has to do with my clinging to being right. When I am open to being wrong there is a lot more room for connection. When I can say, "You might be right." in the middle of an argument something in my body relaxes. I can see that chosing to be close and letting go of being right is a viable option.
Today I thought I lost my appointment book. I was so sure that I brought it to my yoga studio when I taught and left it there. In fact I was so sure I was right I didn't even look at the options. After my PSYCH-K practice group tonight I drove down to my yoga studio to retrieve my appointment book. The teacher who had just finished was standing there on her cell phone because she had forgotten the code to the alarm. It was fortuitous that I was there at that moment to tell her the code. I thought it was fortuitous for me because she was there and I could have company at the studio when I found my book and not have to be there alone late at night. We both looked and my appointment book was nowhere in the studio. I headed home and on the way I muscle tested asking my higher self where my appointment book was. I clearly got that it was home in my office. I still clung to being right and didn't believe my results, although I hoped they were true. I was so sure that my book was at the studio that I didn't entertain the idea of even looking around my house for it. I held on to my pictures. Clinging to being right narrows the options and the mind's ability to think creatively. I was sure I left it at the studio because in the past I have left a trail behind me wherever I go. Then I have to backtrack to retrieve my belongings. However, lately I have been mindfully checking to make sure I am leaving a destination with the number of belongings I came in with. It would be good for me to let go of being right about being spacey and forgetting my belongings. I was so certain of my spaciness that I wasn't open to alternatives. When I returned home I looked around my house and then went up to my office. There was my appointment book waiting for me, as it had been since my last morning client. I could see how much clinging to being right had created feeling urgent and anxious. Now I will let go of clinging to being right about it being wrong to cling to being right. I will let myself feel grateful for finding the book that wasn't lost. I also will appreciate that when i have an idea to blog about the universe provides an opportunity to experience this idea up close and personal. How does your attachment to being right manifest? Would you be willing to look at that?

No comments: