Friday, March 13, 2009

Letting go

This insight came to me the other day and I want to share it with you. I am wondering if I can articulate it well enough. Here goes. I was walking in Cheesman Park with my friend Smokey on Wednesday. She lived in Denver very near the park for thirty years. She walked in the park often and felt very familiar with all of the surroundings. She felt a strong connection to the park and to Denver. Twelve years ago she moved to Chama, New Mexico where she and her husband Graham built an earthship home made of tires. Her children and grandchildren all live in Denver. Since moving they have come to Denver for about one week a month so Smokey can work with clients and they can see their family. Luckily I get to walk with her and hang out whenever they are here. Lately they have been traveling and hadn't been to Denver for two months. As we walked in the park she was observing that she felt very detached from the park. She said it could be any park and any place and there was no subjective attachment for her anymore. Her experience was as an objective observer who had moved on. This objectivity had developed over time and it seemed magnified on this trip.
I thought about my last three experiences with my dear old car. At first I felt so attached it hurt my stomach to think of never seeing it again. Then I saw it more as a car that I really enjoyed driving and appreciated owning for so many years. The last time I saw it I said goodbye. It was already sold. I felt sad and I I was ready to let it go. I was aware that the era of my life the car represented was still important and I was moving on. The car looked like a car to me. Although it was still familiar, I could recognize it as being any car. My attention had shifted just as Smokey's had shifted away from Denver.
So what I realized is that maybe death is like that. Maybe after we leave our bodies we look back on this lifetime with a different perspective. Maybe it starts with aching attachment and grows into moving on to whatever is next. I have always thought about the idea of missing something as being a difficult part of death. Maybe we are missing things and we know it and our egoes will have loosened their grips enough to appreciate what is happening here and know we have moved on. Emmanuel, a channeled entity, says, "Death is like taking off a tight shoe. " That has always made me smile. I can imagine it being true.
Is there something in your life you are aware of being less attached to. What has that been like for you? Can you imagine that death might be like that? Think about it and if you want to let me know what you think.

No comments: