Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Change

Tama Kieves writes a monthy newsletter that is very helpful and fun to read. She is the author of the book This Time I Dance, a very readable and inspiring book about finding work you truely love. www.awakeningartistry.com In this month's musings she talks about opening to the unknown. The line I liked the best is, " It is change that has your back." That line really sank into my body. In this time of uncertainty it is easy to sink into fear about everything as we know it changing. We can think of change as an opportunity to shift our base our security from outside of ourselves to inside of ourselves. My spiritual core is the part of me that loves me no matter what. It is that still small voice that lets me know that everything is OK in the midst of whatever. If I take the time to be quiet, focus on my breath and pay attention I know that I am held in love. In the midst of the unknown there is a known. My spiritual core doesn't guaranty that what will happen will fit my pictures of what my preferences might be. It only lets me know that I will be OK. It offers me the chance to broaden my definition of what OK is beyond my limited ideas. As long as my definition of OK is very broad, everything is OK. When OK also includes my fear that everything is not OK and never will be, I can use my fear to support knowing that everything is OK. Right now I have no car. I am borrowing my brother's car and it has to be returned tomorrow. I know I won't be driving my old car. I don't know what will happen next. I know I need a car to drive. I can spin a story out of control that would have me believe I will be without a car forever . I can move away from the still small voice and create enormous tention in my body. I know I have the money to find a car and buy it.
I know there is a way to find something to drive in the meantime. My fear and sense of urgency tells me I must take whatever I can get and do it soon. The still small voice of my spiritual core tells me to take my time and find a car that really works for me. There is no hurry. I only need to find transportation in the meantime. That doesn't mean to procrastinate and do nothing. It means to do what needs to be done and trust that everything will be OK. Change is at my back. It supports me in trusting my still small voice. Change holds me to my agreement to use everything that comes up as an opportunity to get closer to my spiritual core. That is true support. I am grateful to change for having my back even as I am kicking and screaming in fear. The time is now to get that fear is the vehicle we are being given to use to return to ourselves. It is time to go inside be still and listen. What is changing for you right now? How could it help you to either create or renew your committment to practicing going within to the silence?

No comments: