Wednesday, December 10, 2008

yoga for the holidays

I taught my yoga class today. I was a little nervous about being rusty because I haven't taught for three weeks. In Mexico I had the opportunity to take three classes from a gifted yoga teacher so I had alot I wanted to share. Once the class began I felt the energy of the class picking me up and carrying me and my fears into the flow. When I first started teaching severeal years ago I was really anxious, feeling like I didn't know what I was doing. A seasoned teacher told me that my students want me to do a good job. They are not there to judge me and figure out what I am doing wrong. They are there intending to have a satisfying experience in body mind and spirit. They aren't looking for the opportunity for me to get in the way of that. That really helped. It was so good to be back today. Teaching yoga is a double blessing because I get to do yoga, too. Yoga centers me in my body and brings me to the present. Today in class we focused on breathing into our bodies to bring aware of the sensations in our bodies. Focusing on the sensations in my body brings me out of my head. For instance writing this I am aware of a familiar tension in my lower back that lets me know that my automatic chair is up too high. There that's better. I am aware of tension in the right side of my neck. Breathing into the tension without an agenda to change it or fix it is comforting. Focusing on what I notice in my body in this moment, brings me to this moment more fully. Yoga is a perfect vehicle to develop awareness of the body. When I'm teaching I encourage students to draw their circles around themselves at the beginning of class. The sacred space this creates reminds them to use the breath to return their focus back to awareness of the body. Yoga is such an important part of my life. I know that a regular yoga practice contributes to graceful aging.
I started my home practice with three poses a day. Think about whether yoga might contribute to your life. If you think your body is too inflexible to do yoga that is when yoga could be the most helpful. If you already practice be sure to acknowledge yourself for the gift you are giving yourself. I would love to have you come to my class. The holiday season is such a good time to nurture ourselves in a way that really is nurturing. I teach Wednesdays from noon to one at Whole Yoga on 17th and Williams. www.wholeyoga.com If that time doesn't work for you there are many classes on the website. If it's too far away check out a studio nearby or go to www.yogajournal.com for ideas on starting a home practice.

No comments: