Friday, December 12, 2008

Winter

Winter is a challenging season. Sunlight and warmth contribute greatly to my sense of well-being. When it gets dark earlier and it very cold it is easy to feel anxious or depressed. I went out for a walk as it was getting dark today. It was very hard to get myself out of the house to do it. When it is cold and dark it is more difficult to get out of bed in the morning, too. I notice that at this time of year I want to hole up and go inward. Traditionally the holiday season has been a time for running around shopping for gifts, going to parties and eating lots of sweets. This time of year is actually called "the going within time." in native american tradition. It has become anything but that. One positive result of our current financial situation is that many people are remaking the holidays to be more simple and more peaceful.
Winter can also be a beautiful time. Walking in the park, I noticed the snow covered ground in contrast to the colors of the the setting sun . Several years ago I decided to open to winter and notice some things to appreciate. I am doing a medium job which it way better than abject hatred and holding on in survival until daylight savings time comes back. On warmer winter days it is sure easier to appreciate winter and to open to accepting what is. I am working to be present in the winter even if I don't like it much. Some people have winter as their favorite season. I think those are the people who I see walking by me in the park with four less layers on than me.
So what are some ways to cope with winter blues when winter doesn't feel very beautiful at all? One way is to recreate warmth for yourself. If you are lucky enough to have a fireplace let yourself use it. Buy some tea you really like and sip it throughout the day. Take a hot bath and stay in it till the water starts to get cool. Wear thick socks or slippers and lots of layers in the house. So far I am only doing the tea and the socks. It is hard for me to take a bath. When I was doing a week long ayurvedic cleansing fast several years ago I took a bath daily. I really grew to look forward to the time to be warmed and relax and do nothing. When the cleansing was completed it was prescribed to take one bath a week. I have probably taken one bath a year. One woman I know takes more than one a day. I admire that. It is my intention to take a long hot bath sometime during this holiday season. It is so nurturing when I do. How about you? What else can you think of to recreate warmth?
Sunlight is the other commodity that is scarcer. We are lucky to live in Colorado where there is so much sunlight. When I was growing up in upstate New York there was winter from October to April and about 10 sunny days during the whole time. I think I was depressed my entire childhood. It is important to get out into the sun even if only for a few minutes. Taking vitamin d supplements can be helpful, too. Lessening sugar and caffeine and increasing leafy green vegetables supports the immune system. Cold and flu germs are airborne longer in cold dry air. I use a warm air humidifier and I think it really helps me sleep better in the winter. Whatever you do to take care of yourself remember to do it in this season even though it seems like there isn't time. Cut yourself some slack if you are sad. This can often be a time of disappointment because of our high expectations. We are wanting to have the holidays we hoped to have as children. Stay in your circle and make choices from there. Remember to laugh even if it means looking in the mirror and laughing at yourself. Check out laughter yoga for a good laugh about nothing at all. It's a great pick-up for the winter blues.www.denverlaughs.org If you happen to be off from work or your schedule permits it I am leading laughter yoga on Monday December 22 from noon til one at the Unitarian church on the corner of 14th and Lafayette (Laughfayette- haha) It's free. I'd love to have you come.

No comments: