Monday, December 29, 2008

virtual sangha

With a little openheartedness and willingness to forgive relationships can change. It is a decision about whether the relationship has enough health in it to be ressurected. My brother is home from the hospital recovering well. Things are different with us. He asked how I was doing today. I was so pleased. I am looking forward to exploring a new more reciprocal relationship with him. Thanks for all of your support.
During the holiday season I have been very challenged with my meditation practice. Often at the times I need to meditate the most is when I want to the least. Although I still sat on most days my mind was noisy and the time I spent was shorter. Last night the chanting group I am in met and my friend Val talked about the virtual sangha she had started. Sangha is a pali word for spiritual community. She wanted support from other peopple in meditating daily. She had struggled to do it on her own. She asked one friend to do it with her and then the group began to grow. People meet each morning on a free conference call and sit together for 30 minutes. She has been doing it for two months and has found that she is less reactive and more relaxed. On weekdays it is at 6:15 and on weekends it is at 8:00. You can participate in as many or as few as you want. This morning at 6:15 I joined the other people from all around the country who sit together over the phone each morning. Most of the sitting groups in the area meet in the evenings. In the winter in the evening it is cold and dark and I don't feel like going anywhere. Often I work in the evenings. This morning I could be in my robe in my own meditation room and still feel the energy joining with mine that is so supportive when sitting in a group. My day was much improved by the experience. I hope to continue. I plan to continue. I intend to continue. It is so good for me to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. I felt like I had many more hours in the day than when I stay up late and sleep until 7. If you would like to experience this virtual sangha anyone can join. E-mail me or call me and I'll give you the phone numbers. Where are you with meditation these days? Would it be useful to start a regular meditation practice or to bring renewed energy to your current practice? What would that look like?

No comments: