Sunday, July 6, 2008

trees water moon and grandmother

I'm back from the mountains. It was cool and lovely and very green. It is so enlivening to be close to nature. We went on a beautiful hike near Jamestown that went through a forest next to a river. Moving water and forest energy are two of my most potent elixers. I feel safe and held by large trees and I found an especially comforting one to hug. When I press my heart or my spine against certain trees I feel connected to them and to their history. This tree shared its silent wisdom with me. It was soothing and I felt energized. When I hug a tree I also feel as if I have something to offer the tree because we are two beings exchanging energy. We waded in the river which was very cold and envigorating. Moving water has been my teacher for many years. I love to hang out and watch it flow and sometimes I experience merging with it. Every day I say a water prayer to the moving water in the park where I walk. Monnya and I made up a bedtime prayer and I say the first few lines with arm movements as my water prayer.
"Thank you for my wonderful life.( hands at the heart) I trust in peace and joy and love.(arms outstretched open wide, head up) I am enough. (hugging myself)"
Tonight I walked when I got home just as it was getting dark. I am always grateful that I live in a neighborhood where I feel comfortable walking alone at night. I forgot to say my water prayer to the water so I said it to the moon. I call the moon grandmother moon. I feel a strong connection to the moon and always watch her move through her phases. When Monnya was sixteen and spending five months traveling with Youth International and studying dance in India we used to send each other moon mail. We would each go outside and be with the moon and send messages to each other through the moon. It made me feel close to her at a time when more direct communicatiion was very difficult.
The moon kind of feels like the same energy I felt with my grandmother growing up. I felt special because of our connection and supported in being myself. She had a big impact in my life because I knew she loved me when I wasn't certain who else did. I am grateful to her for loving me and being such a playful and young at heart person. She was a great role model for me about being active and doing what she wanted regardless of what other people might think. I have felt her guidance and support over the years since her death when I was twenty six. As a matter of fact I think I will connect with her soon. It's been a long time and I could use a dose of unconditional love right now. So, who or what do you feel support from? Could you draw on that support sometime soon?

No comments: