Thursday, July 24, 2008

commitment

I am feeling so grateful today for all of the wonderful people I work with. It is such a joy to see people's commitment to their continued growth and their courage in releasing what's in the way of being all of who they are. I am in the process of creating a website. I want to work with the web designer to create a simple and beautiful site that is a taste of the sanctuary of peace it is my intention to offer the people I work with. If you have worked with me, or been in my yoga class and feel moved to write me a one or two sentence long testimonial I would love it. You can send it to my e-mail address mailto:lightalive@msn.com Who can better recommend my work than the people who have experienced working with me? Thanks in advance.

The people I work with inspire me to work on myself. I have been aware of how much I have been committed to ambivalence in my relationship with my partner Gary. For three years I have been ambivalent- shifting back and forth from embracing the relationship to doubting the relationship. Gary has been the one to hold the constancy of our being together because he trusts deeply in our spiritual connection. It scares him when I convince myself that I am doing it wrong being with him. I have always had one foot out the door, although I have never acted upon it. I have chosen not to commit. I guess I wasn't ready. Out of the angst I felt I saw that it would be so helpful to both of us to create a commitment. The other day we decided to commit for six months to using everything that comes up in our relationship to get closer to ourselves, each other and to God. This is also called a no-exit agreement in that each person agrees to investigate all of the ways they are exiting their energy from the relationship. This includes using work, substances, other people or our own thoughts to avoid being present. It doesn't mean the exits magically go away. It only means there is a clear shared intention to investigate and to do the work. It is a willingness to risk the relationship as it is and to open to what it could be. We have both been scared of commitment in our own way. Mine is noisier. Since we created this commitment I have felt less critical, more relaxed and more open. Gary has felt safer and freer to be more openly loving. I'll keep you posted. What do you feel challenged about committing to? Would you be willing to investigate?

No comments: