Sunday, July 20, 2008

small things

This morning I got up and went to an 8am yoga class. I was out late last night having a birthday dinner with my daughter Monnya and her partner Issac. We had a lovely hike before dinner. At one point we climbed up on some rocks. When we got to the second set of climbing rocks I decided to honor my energy level and sit on a rock on the path as they climbed. It is humbling to see that if I listen to my body, I am slowing down. Not listening leads to injury. That has been made very clear to me. Listening leads to lovely quiet meditation time in the beautiful forest.
I have been experiencing resistance to meditation in the last few days. I am learning to trust in the ebb and flow of it. I used to get freaked out that if I didn't feel like meditating for a while it meant I would give it up forever. Out of fear I would make myself sit for longer than I wanted to which served to increase my resistance. Now I relax and know that my love for meditation will organically bring me back to it. When I don't want to sit is when I usually need it the most, though. I noticed yesterday I was swearing out loud about another driver in traffic. Regular meditation definitely makes me less reactive. My swearing helped me to understand road rage which I have always thought myself to be above. Humility seems to be the theme today. Whenever I think myself to be above anything it is only a matter of time before I offer that same behavior up to myself for forgiveness. Life says "O.K. you think you are above road rage can you accept it in yourself?" It also helps me to understand the people I judge and to get that we really are all one. All behavior is a matter of degree. That is true of positve behavior also. If someone else does something I admire I can see myself as separate from that too. I can judge myself and think I could never do that. What if that isn't true either? It's all a matter of degree. Showing up for other people doesn't have to look like Mother Theresa. In her words, "We don't have to do great things. We only have to do small things with great love." What about small things with any love at all?
What about the small things we give ourself ? That is showing up,too. Since we are all one, being loving to ourselves seems to be the best vehicle for showing up for anyone else. That brings me back to the yoga class I gifted myself with this morning. It feels so good to go to a class that someone else is teaching and I get such great ideas to pass on to my students. What small thing could you do for yourself with great love (or any amount of love at all) today?

No comments: