Friday, May 30, 2008

Monnya

Today I got to spend time with my daughter Monnya. She is doing some work for me at my house. It is such a joy to spend time with her. Her resourcefulness and creativity contribute so much to my life. So far she is painting and organizing. I have a lovely bright new upstairs hallway and a partly reorganized art room. One prerequisite to doing art projects is to be able to find the stuff needed to do them. Now at least there is more of a chance that my artist soul can be expressed. I need to set aside time and follow through. My yoga training is over tomorrow so some space will be created. I am grateful that it is over. I will be glad to have the time and energy returned. Eight weeks of Thursday nights, Friday nights and five hours each Saturday has been a huge time committment. I have learned to be much more mindful of my body and not to take strength and health for granted. I am more relaxed about my spiritual practices- trusting more in the big picture and worrying less about day to day. It has been very satisfying to be part of a learning community and to feel safe and close to my fellow students. Something clicked into place in my brain and I understand much more about how hips and knees work- anatomy makes sense to me now. I think I will be a better yoga teacher and a more aware person having done this training. It has been very difficult and challenging and doing another advanced yoga training in its present form is probably not a good idea for my body. Pretzel poses and my non-pretzel body are not a good mix. It is humbling to accept and honor my physical limitations. I do want to age gracefully. Part of that is realizing that my body is changing. At least I feel wiser. Wisdom is a nice bennny of aging. Speaking of aging I have been feeling kind of old and dried up partly from the effects of the surgery and partly from jumping into this training so soon after the surgery. I have been thinking about cutting my hair to lighten up. Monnya cut my hair today. It is short and sassy.
I feel lighter and younger. It is just what I needed. She did a great job. She cuts her own hair and her fiance Issac's hair and I trusted she knew what she was doing.We did it in the backyard and I surrendered control without looking in a mirror. Monnya inspires me to be spontaneous and to take risks. She is a good teacher. All the dead hair is gone and I emerge a new woman ready for the next era of my life.

No comments: