Thursday, May 22, 2008

Keep going

I had a problem jaw. It cracked and popped and the muscles never relaxed. When I am sleeping I clench my teeth. I also have had a strong intuitive feeling for a long time that my tight jaw and my difficulty with hearing were related. The chiropractor/healer I have been working with has supported me on my quest to find a dentist that could help me. We were looking for a dentist who could create a plastic splint for my mouth that could balance my jaw and not harm the rest of my body. In the past dentists were unwilling to listen to Dr. Allen Berger's expertise about integrating the whole body in the creation of a devise for the jaw. About six months ago I realized my current dentist couldn't help me with what he had to offer. This was the forth dentist in five years and altogether involved a huge investment of time and money. At first I was dicouraged . Then I decided it was important enough to me to keep pursuing my vision of a balanced jaw in a healthier body with the possibility of clearer hearing. I did an internet search for Holistic Dentists and interviewed all of them. I chose Dr. Eileen McGinty because she seemed real and knowledgeable and open to the idea of each body part effecting the whole.
(Even though I looked them up in the dictionary the difference between effect and affect alludes me. If you have any ideas about when to use each of them please let me know.)
Dr. McGinty made me a splint that tightened up my back and neck. I couldn't wear it and I asked her to speak to Dr. Berger.When they talked on the phone the professional collaboration I had hoped for wasn't created. I felt hopless about getting a splint that would help my jaw. Dr. McGinty's assistant adjusted my splint and my neck and back were even worse. Then I asked Dr. McGinty if she was open to Dr. Berger coming to her office. When I explained that he could muscle test my body to see how it was being affected by the splint and help her to adjust it accordingly, she was willing. The three of us met today. Everyone was openhearted toward each other. When I closed my eyes went into my circle and checked in with myself, I felt that everything would be O.K. By the way if my definition of O.K. is broad enough, everything is always O.K. The collaboration between the two doctors was heartwarming. Both of them were advocating for my well-being rather than for their own egos. It was thrilling to me to walk out of there with a splint that actually helps my body relax and let go. I am glad I kept going even when I was afraid it wouldn't work out. Is there something in your life that you have given up on or pulled your energy back from that could use another round of your attention? It could be worth it. It was for me.
Tomorrow is Gary's 60th birthday. I will be up in the mountains and will write again Sunday or Monday or Tuesday. I hope you enjoy yourself on this Memorial Day weekend.

No comments: