Thursday, June 25, 2009

Feeding and draining energy

I just read an interesting article about energy drains. What drains your energy? What feeds your energy? In this article she talks about three things that drain energy: people, food and thoughts. Starting with food, processed food and sugary food and drinks are energy drains. Although it might seem like a pick-me-up, a candy bar or a can of pop is really a let- me -down. People can drain our energy too. Is there someone in your life who when you spend time with them you feel energized and alive? Your vitality seems to get a jump start when you are around them. On the other hand, is there someone who after you've been with them you feel tired and/or irritable? Does that person complain a lot or focus on negativity or gossip about other people? Our own thoughts can also be draining. If we are constantly judging ourselves or telling ourselves we are not enough or not good enough it is very draining. Also a job we don't enjoy or meetings or social events we attend out of obligation that we don't want to go to drain our energy. I am aware of how draining it is for me to say yes to another person when I am saying no to myself. Setting clear boundaries with other people and standing behind them is very enlivening for me. I sometimes think I am being helpful to people to fit them in to my schedule when I already have as much as I can handle. I'm not doing anyone any favors to be with them when I don't have the energy. Of course there is a balance here. Being useful to others does feed my energy. However, if I am in a depleted place it is challenging to be really present. Balanced energy allows me to be more fully present.
What is one thing that you know drains your energy? What is one thing that you know feeds your energy? Would you be willing to create an intention let go of one thing that drains your energy? It could be a gradual process. You could start by being mindful of how you feel when you do it. Eating late at night drains my energy. It effects my sleep and the energy I have in the morning. I eat healthy food now and it is still draining to ask by body to be digesting food when I am asleep. In order to acomplish letting go of this energy drain I want to ask myself what it is I really need when I think food is the answer before I go to bed. Being compassionately mindful seems like a good first step. It is important to acknowledge myself everytime I notice I want to eat late at night and soothe myself. What is draining for you? Experiment with choosing one thing to bring your attention to letting go of. What energizes you? Is there one thing you'd like to allow yourself to have or do or a person you'd like to spend more time with? Choose one of those and experiment with what it feels like to expand your permission to yourself to be energized. I am energized by meditating before I go to bed.
I have been sitting before I go to bed most nights for about a week.I sleep better and wake up in a more positive state of mind. Last night I ate pistachio nuts and didn't meditate before I went to sleep. I recognize the difference in my energy level. Forgiving myself is very energizing. In the same way that judging myself is draining, forgiving myself is energizing. My intention is to let go of eating before I go to sleep and allow myself to meditate. I told myself that what is important is getting myself to my cushion before I go to bed no matter how short or long a time I sit. Play with this if it feels useful to you to see how you might let go of something that drains your energy and allow yourself something that feeds your energy.

No comments: