Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration 2009

What an amazing day! The women's spiritual support group I facilitate met this morning. We meet until 10:15 so we watched the inauguration together at ten. It was so moving to be part of the ritual and to share it with each other. I am so grateful. In the middle of Barack's speech I said to myself"Do you believe this guy is our president?" He seems to be such a visionary and so real. I felt so uplifted and inspired as I have each time I heard him speak. I felt a deep love for my country for the first time I can remember in my adult life. Looking at all of those people on the Whitehouse mall, I had so much admiration for what it took for all of them to be there. Every one had to committ to the time, energy and money it took to make the trip. One person I know who was there said she had never been around so many people in her life so many of whom were really happy. I love that Michelle Obama brought Laura Bush a gift. What a gracious gesture and indicative of a spirit of generousity that goes beyond
caring about protocol. The music that played before the inaguration based on Simple Gifts was so soothing and beautiful. As they showed the shining faces of the musicians I was struck with how much joy there was in each one. Each one doing what they loved and sharing it with so many people.
I imagine it might have been a dream come true for some of them. I imagine a lot of people were opening to their dreams being realized today. The thing I most loved about Barack's speech was the line, "Sixty years ago my father may have been refused service in a restaurant and here I stand before you today." It gave me chills to realize how far we've come even though we still have far to go. He spoke about values and his hopes for us to get that we are all one. I get that he gets that. How thrilling to have a president who knows we can only get through these times by all people all over the world pulling together. I refuse to modify my enthusiasm with temperance or to ground my hopes in "reality." In this moment my heart is aching with joy for the present moment and all we have been through together to get to today. I feel blessed to live in a country run by a person who I care about who is smart and seems so wise and humble. It is so healing to experience unbridled enthusiasm. I so appreciate sharing it with you. What is your experience like today? Can there be space for it to be whatever it is?

No comments: