Monday, January 12, 2009

Gratefulness

I am feeling so grateful for my life today. The snow this morning was a bit shocking. I hate being cold and I often feel uneasy after a big snowfall. It helps if the day is sunny and the sky turns blue. This morning I went out to shovel. The wind was strong and the sky was overcast. The snow was quite heavy and difficult to push onto the shovel. Gary bought me one of those ergonomic shovels last year which makes things much easier on my back. The exertion felt good and I was less anxious when I was done. I was aware of feeling grateful to have a strong body. Also I was reconvinced that exercise moves anxiety. Often when I am anxious moving my body around creates some space for the fear to lessen.
Driving in the snow is easy for me. I grew up in Syracuse, New York where it snowed from October until April. It really snowed, not like here where the snow often melts before the day is out. People had orange styrofoam balls on their car aerials to be able to see cars over the snow drifts. As I drove to the dentist I was grateful for the bootcamp of winter driving that I had growing up. I was keenly aware that some of the other drivers did not feel as comfortable so I paid extra attention to what I was doing. Arriving at the dentist, I was grateful that they took me right away. The people there are all so very nice. I actually enjoy going to the dentist. That hasn't always been the case. The dentist listens to me and values what I say about my own health. She is open to new ideas. Today I had read some research about Dental Distress Disorder that I wanted her to check out. It's the idea that the position or mal position of the jaw greatly effects overall health. Hearing loss and anxiety are two of the symptoms. She seemed excited to learn something new. How refreshing! It's a joy to have a dentist who seems so little influenced by her own ego. That has rarely been my experience in the past with other dentists.
Arriving home I received calls from two people who wanted to schedule an appointment. I felt very grateful that people want to work with me. I work with are such cool people. It is a joy to hang out with them and love them. Sometimes I can't believe I get to do that for work.
Then I had a sweet conversation with my partner Gary. We worked through a lot of stuff this weekend and it was so good to talk to him when I was feeling so positive about our relationship. We went to a lovely yoga class yesterday. I appreciate his willingness to go to a yoga class with me. It feels great to find a class we both like. The teacher is exceptional , has very positive energy and the class is by donation. What a find. You know, focusing on my blessings is very uplifting. Sharing them with you makes the healing even more powerful. I would like to do this more often. I highly recommend it as a practice.
What do you feel grateful for today?

No comments: