Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wings Foundation

A few weeks ago I went to a Wings foundation group for women who have been sexually abused as children. It is a survivors group. I was terrified to go because I didn't know what to expect. I was considering working with the leader of the group in individual therapy because she was the person my previous therapist recommended. I knew that the rules of Wings are that a group member can't do individual therapy with any of the members of her own group. I went to that group to decide whether to continue in the group and wait to do individual therapy or to join another group. I had a positive experience in the group. I felt heard and also felt so much empathy for the other group members. By the end of the two hour group I felt safer and less afraid. I was also clear that I wanted to do individual work with the group leader so that meant I needed to find another group. It is really true that when one door closes another door opens. It turns out there was a group five minutes from my house on a night that worked better for me. Last night was my first meeting. This time I was nervous not terrified because I knew more of what to expect. Once I can move from feeling out of control to having enough information to relax a little it makes all the difference. This time I was nervous because I didn't know who would be in the group or what the leader would be like. The therapists who lead these groups all volunteer their time for a whole evening every week. Because of this I knew whoever the leader was she would be someone I admired.
There were eight women in the group of diverse ages and backgrounds. What we had in common was a traumatic past and a resilient spirit. Most of the people in my life have been very supportive and I am grateful. These women understood because they had been there themselves. I felt freer to share what happened to me because that is what we were there to do. I didn't have to pretend to be fine or get lost in feeling devastated. I could just be me sharing what my life has been like since I recovered this childhood memory. I am in the place where I am starting to see some of the benefits of being willing to face the truth of what happened to me and to do the work to begin healing. In the midst of all of the anxiety and the heavy blanket of depression I feel smothered by sometimes I am starting to notice colors are brighter and smells are stronger and my body is more flexible. I am more aware of my strength in the midst of my vulnerability. I am even starting to see what all of the hoopla is about sex and to feel more open to and trusting of my partner. The women in this group seemed so courageous to me. They all shared a commitment to heal and grow, some of them through very challenging obstacles. I came away from the group inspired with hope about the power of the human spirit. The leader was very skillful and I felt held by her compassion and boundary setting. I am eager to go back next week. I have the feeling this group will contribute to my life in ways I can't even imagine yet.
Wings foundation holds group for women and for men in Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs. If you or someone you know could benefit from a group the phone number is 303 238 8660 and the website is www.wingsfound.org
Thanks for listening.

No comments: