Friday, September 19, 2008

visualization

My energy is shifting. This week has been much better. Focusing on the positive really does help. Yesterday I received an e-mail based on the law of attraction. What you put your attention on is what you attract. I don't think things are as simple as "The Secret" makes them out to be. There is a lot more mystery going on behind the process of manifestation than I am privy to. However, I have noticed in this political campaign, as I said before, that focusing on what I am against and resisting that, creates negativity and drains my energy.
The e-mail suggests being quiet and visualizing Obama as president for thirty seconds. I did it last night and it really helped. In my visualization I imagined people getting that we are in this together and that Obama is leading the way to a more cooperative, collaborative and connected political system. I felt his strength of character and committment to positive change in the quality of life for regular people. Focusing on my visualization I felt less anxious and more hopeful.
I e-mailed my friend Wendy the visualization idea and she wrote back that she has been visualizing Obama's acceptance speech as part of her daily meditation.
She said that in her visualization people are joyous and hopeful. I thought it was a great idea so I stopped and took 30 seconds to imagine that. At Obama's acceptance speech there was a palpable excitement in the crowd and an eagerness to continue participating in the political process. I could feel the positive energy in my body. At the very least, visualizing is getting me to slow down and take time to be. Maybe that is the point. Breathing deeply and focusing on creating a vision of what could be, allows me to be quiet and still. It settles me down from railing against what I don't want to happen. What you resist persists. That feels true to me. Trying to be in control and thinking I can avoid the experience I am having is a useless folly. What that gets me is tension in my belly and a stiff neck. Aversion or pushing away doesn't make anything go away. What seems to work the best is acknowledging my fear or sadness or anger, breathing mindfully into whatever I am feeling and including it in being OK. Inclusion brings comfort. The more space there is to include my experiences in what I consider to be OK the more space there is for me to feel like I'm OK.
What do you want to imagine for yourself? Could you be quiet and breathe and create a vision of it and sit with it for 30 seconds? In addition what could you include in your concept of being OK that you weren't willing to include before?Would you be willing to create a little more space in your heart for some experience or emotion that you used to consider not OK? Would you be willing to sit with that for 30 seconds?

No comments: