Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mistake

I made a very bad mistake today. At 1:00 I went for a bikeride knowing I had plenty of time to get home before my next client at 3:00. I enjoyed riding in the beautiful weather and even though I had a lot on my mind, I was able to bring myself back to paying attention to my ride. I stopped in the park to meditate on my favorite rock by the creek. I felt good that I carved out time to sit quietly. I arrived home at 2:30 in time to eat something and get ready for my session. At 3:10 my client hadn't arrived and I went to find her number and call her because she hasn't ever been late. I checked my messages to see if she had called while I was riding to say she would be late. There were two messages from her. The first message said she had come to my house at 2:00 for her appointment to find me not there. The second said she was upset that she had driven all the way there and was now on her way home.
I went to check my appointment book and she was right. With my reading glasses on I could tell that what I had mistaken for a three was, in fact, a 2.
I called and she answered. I was so grateful to be able to get a hold of her right away. I apologized profusely, took complete responsibility for my mistake and asked if she could come back. Luckily she was willing to come back and we both had the time available. I was also very grateful that it worked out to see her today. I felt very guilty that I got the time wrong and she ended up wondering what was going on and being abandoned. Before she arrived I ate a bunch of nuts I wasn't hungry for and then stopped eating and focused on what I could do to make amends. When she arrived I apologized in person. We agreed that I would give her extra time in the session in exchange for my messing up.
It is hard for me to make mistakes especially when my mistakes impact other people.
I know years ago I would still be beating up on myself for not being there. Now I know that this was a mistake. My client was generous and forgiving. The least I can do is be generous and forgiving with myself. I know that my version of being OK has way more room in it than it used to. I can make a mistake, even a bad one, and still know I am a good, well-meaning person.
How about you? Is there room for you to make a mistake, even a big one, and still know that you are a good person? Is there one you are still holding on to feeling badly about that you would be willing to make amends to yourself or another in some way if that's appropriate? See if you could create some space in your own heart to include this mistake. Could you forgive yourself? Believe me, it feels so good to know I don't have to be perfect to be OK. How about you?

No comments: