Monday, September 22, 2008

Vacation

Today was such a lovely day. Gary and I are in Steamboat Springs on vacation. I started out the day in a yoga class that had a beautiful view of a river behind it. I found the class challenging in that it was extremely difficult to hear the teacher even on the highest volume of my hearing aids. Even so, I love doing yoga and it made me appreciate the teachers at whole yoga, where I teach in Denver, so much more. Then Gary and I were headed up to Strawberry Hot Springs. I was willing to go and I really wanted to hike first. He surprised me by pulling over and finding this gorgeous hike.
He said he wanted to go for 40 minutes. He really pushed himself and we ended up hiking for two hours. I was in bliss. The aspen trees were just beginning to change and the colors were breathtaking. I never knew there could be so many shades of green. There were rich yellows and golds joined with the reds and oranges of the scrub oaks. It reminded me of autumn in the east where I grew up. There was a sense of community with the people we passed as we shared the experience of being in such beauty.
On top of that it was my perfect hike. I like narrow unrocky paths that wind through forests and open up to great views. I like steady uphill climbs with flat places for a breather now and then. At one point the path was lined with more ferns than I have ever seen in one place. The way the light was hitting them had a magical quality. We found a chokecherry bush and had a small feast. The berries were sweet and succulent. At one point on the way down I had the thought that I wanted to pause to etch this hike in my brain. I had a sense of drinking in the experience and being completely satisfied. I felt so grateful to have a partner who loves moving in nature. I love my work and it is such a blessing to be able to be on vacation. I know I will return to my work with renewed energy and vitality.
We hung out at Strawberry Hot Springs for five hours. It was a welcome reward for our bodies after the hike. There was a pervasive sense of peace there. I felt very fortunate to be able to be in such a relaxing natural environment. People there were being very loving with each other. It was very pleasurable to share the experience of soaking in hot water in a beautiful place with people in so many different shapes and ages of bodies. Thanks for letting me share this day with you. It is a delicious end to this day to be able to write and share it
with you. I may not write until next Sunday or Monday. Is there any sort of rejuvenating vacation in your near future? Would you be willing to give yourself a well-deserved break?

No comments: