Monday, May 18, 2009

Why Him Why Her

In an article in the latest issue of the magazine, Psychotherapy Networker, Helen Fisher writes about biological temperament. She has done extensive empiracle research and has determined four main temperaments each influenced by a group of inherited genes. Explorers are influenced mainly by the spectrum of the neurotransmitter dopamine. They tend to be adventurous, to take risks, to seek novelty, to have heightened energy, curiosity, creativity, mental optimism, enthusiasm, mental flexibility.
Indidviduals who have inherited traits in the serotonin system tend to be calm, cautious, social, but not fearful, persistent, loyal, fond of rules and facts and orderly.They are good at bringing people together and at building social networks. She calls these men and women Builders. Testerone is the predominant chemical for a group of people Fisher calls Directors. These people tend to be direct, focused , decisive, analylitical, logical, tough-minded, emotionally contained and good at strategic thinking. The forth type, influenced by the chemical estrogen, she calls negotiators.Negotiators are people who are intuitive, tend to see the big picture, are imaginative, display superior verbal skills, and are emotionally expressive and altruistic.According to Fisher, these biological temperaments determine everything from our choice of residence to our choice of mates. She posits from her extensive research that although people have all four types within them they lead with first and secondary traits. In choice of mates, she says that Explores and Builders tend to pick mates similar to themselves and directors and negotiators tend to pick mates who are opposite of themselves. Hence the, opposites attract and birds of a feather flock together, both being true for different people. Helen Fisher identifies herself as primarily Explorer and secondarily negotiator. When I first read the explorer description, I thought, that is me. Reading the Builders, I resonated very little. I could see some of the director in me especially when I was younger and more aggressive. Then I read the negotiator and really saw myself.I think I would describe myself as negotiator first and then explorer.From what you've read where would you put yourself? This is a very simplistic explanation of a very complex idea that I am fascinated with. Google Helen Fisher's book Why Him Why Her to find out more.

No comments: