Thursday, May 14, 2009

Choice

One of my readers told me about this RSS thing you can google and sign up for. It lets you know when a new post has been written on a site you are following. Check it out if you want to put my blog on it and know when I have written a new one. I am writing twice a week on the weekdays.
Today I have received numerous reminders about choice. This one was from Cheri Huber:
We always have a choice. "I can't" is what we say in order to keep pretending that we're not responsible. Here is a definition of perfect trust: People will always do what they want to do.
I can pretend that I am a victim of circumstance. It's true that shit happens and I am in charge of how I react to that. When I embrace what is, there is less suffering. Phillip Moffitt in his book dancing with life talks about the difference between desire and craving. Desire is when you want something and craving is when you are attached to the outcome about having the desire. A desire can be for things to stay the way they are or for things to change. A desire can be for more of something like money or less of something like lonliness. Desire is an integral part of being human. Attachment to desire or craving is an integral part of suffering. Desire is juicy, craving is limiting. Craving cuts off my options of life showing up in a way that doesn't fit my pictures. I choose what to do with my desires. The first step is to make a choice to be mindful of when I am caught in a craving. I get caught in craving about crossing things off my to-do list. I often feel the need to do one more thing as I am leaving to go somewhere and then I have to drive with urgency to get there on time. Sometimes I want to accomplish too many things and I want to go to sleep by 10. If I get stuck in craving to do my laundry at 9:30, like I am right now, it is a set up to not be in bed by 10. I think the difference between desire and craving is if I think I need to have something or do something or be something to be OK. If I can't be OK and do my laundry another time or be OK and not get to sleep by 10 then I am stuck in craving.
It is important to remember that I chose what I do with my desires and whether I use them to support feeling satisfied with myself or dissatisfied.
My desire is to allow my life force to flow through me so that I am in touch with the truth of my heart.
I want to have my actions in the world support that truth. I also want to forgive myself when I miss the mark. I chose to cut myself some slack and to cut others some slack too. That is the difference between desire and craving. How about you? What do you notice about desire and craving? What do you chose?

No comments: