Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dreaming

I just finished watching Barack Obama's State of the Union address. I felt inspired and saddened. I was inspired by Barack's articulation of his disappointment and frustration, acceptance of responsibility and calls for unity. I was saddened by the bi-partisanship response to the address, the democrats applauding every sentence and the republicans only applauding when Barack made a clear step in their direction. Both seemed like opposing fans at a football game. He spoke of the American people being cynical about government and losing trust. I noticed as I started to watch the address I felt cynical and mistrusting. I have felt let down by what has occurred since Obama got elected. I am aware that during the election I had high energy to help with the campaign and high hopes for the future. After the election I told myself that I was going to take a break and rest from political involvement. That break has extended to last well over a year. Maybe it is myself I am saddened by. Gradually, I stopped reading e-mails, stopped donating money and left the job of supporting the president I so enthusiastically helped to elect, to other people. When I pull my energy back it is easy to complain that nothing is getting done. Tonight I was aware of what Barack Obama is up against. He is a politician, a politician with a heart. I can see how that would create lots of conflict internally and externally. He wants to be understood, liked and reelected and he wants to stand up for what he believes in. I was aware tonight that Barack Obama is only one man. I feel tired when I think about what it must be like to be President right after a conservative Republican wins Teddy Kennedy's seat in congress. What a vote of no confidence. He didn't grovel and blame himself. That is to his credit. I wish he had addressed it more directly and acknowledged that he heard the message and will listen.
I just got an e-mail from Barack Obama entitled," I can't do it alone." I am going to read it. That is a start toward reengaging my energy and finding a way to participate that isn't all or nothing.
In my yoga class today there were 15 people. Every person there had a different intention for themselves yet each was there to support their own well-being in some way. Maybe some were there to become more flexible, some were there to quiet their minds and move down into their bodies, some came to the class out of curiosity, some came to lose weight, some to gain strength, some because a friend dragged them there. There were eight men. Men are now coming to yoga classes more and more. Yoga has become more acceptable exercise for men.
I think men are drawn to my class because my hips are so tight and I'm not a pretzel. I can present poses in a way that they can do. It is joyful to me to hear the chanting of aum with such a range of voices. We practice in a circle -each person in the circle doing warrior two, the spiritual warrior, each in the unique way their body does the pose, each beautiful. Looking around the circle I can feel the energy building from my passion for practicing yoga to each person's committment to practicing, all different, all part of the energy flow we are creating together. I think about the state of the union, yoga means union.
I imagine the members of congress in a giant hall doing yoga together. Barack Obama is suited up and ready to participate. Everyone looks around and breaks out in laughter at how silly they look and how foolish they feel. The teacher is skilled at teaching a challenging and gentle class. Everyone is there to support their own well-being and willing to share the experience to support the well-being of all of us. There is a chant: One One each and every one. Each one whole and united in the one. As bodies stretch, minds stretch. People begin to look around and notice each other as fellow human beings. People begin to move down into their bodies and follow their breathing. The amygdula of their brains in fight or flight gives way to the prefrontal cortex of the reasoning mind. There is a palpable sense of presence in the air. It starts to dawn on some of them at first and then begins to spread throughout the room that we are all in this together. People put down their weapons of defensiveness and look each other in the eye and speak from the heart. They bring that energy to their leadership of this country. My inner cynic says, " Yeah right." I say, "I can undrstand that you would feel that way and I can dream and hold a vision of my dream." Do you remember this dream? " Last night I had the strangest dream I ever dreamed before. I dreamed the world had all agreed to put an end to war." Or this one, "Imagine all the people living life in peace." Do you have a dream? Could you let yourself dream it?

No comments: