Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sixty

Yesterday was my 60th birthday. I was born in 1950 and I remember growing up thinking that at the turn of the century I would be fifty. As a kid, that seemed like light years away and and older than I could even fathom. When I was 15 and my father celebrated his fortieth birthday, there was a big sign in front of our house that said "Stan is over the hill." It sure seemed so to me. At that time forty seemed officially irrevocably old. When I turned thirty five and was pregnant with my daughter I felt like I was no longer a young person with all of my options open. My footloose and fancy free days were over before I ever paid attention to really enjoying them. I was worried by the time I emerged from my active parenting years, I would be too old to frolic and enjoy my freedom again. Raising my daughter was a very satisfying, stimulating and challenging time in my life. Being Monnya's Mom has always been a heart-opening and mind-opening experience that stretches my limits beyond who I think myself to be. Parenting Monnya and being loved so deeply brought up everything that wasn't love in me to be burned away. I began in earnest to work with my ego because I had to to show up as the kind of Mom I wanted to be. Suddenly I was fifty and Monnya was fifteen. I wonder if she saw things like I did at fifteen and to her fifty seemed ancient? Fifty was a powerful birthday. I finally was really releasing caring about what other people thought of me and daring to be myself. Even if I still wondered whether I was too much for most people I had found a supportive group of friends who accepted me as I was. I still longed for the partner of my dreams and thought myself incomplete without him.
This decade has been about becoming the person I wanted for a partner and letting myself be the partner of my dreams. Letting go of finding the partner of my dreams has allowed me to open to finding a flawed, wondrous, human being who loves and accepts me as a flawed wondrous human being. I am grateful.
Throughout my fifties, sixty felt old to me. I dreaded turning sixty because in my mind it meant old old old. It meant one foot in a rest home and a decaying body. Many of my friends are already in their sixties. They don't seem decrepid. Yet health issues and slowed down energy seem to be a part of what they've come to terms with. Today I paid someone to shovel my sidewalk and driveway. The snow was heavy and I knew I wasn't up for it. However, I did that so I could get my car out to go teach yoga. Maybe being sixty isn't about being old it is about being more discerning of my limitations so I can have the energy to do what I want to do. Monnya says that sixty is the new forty. She has always been my best cheerleader. I rather think that sixty will be what I make it to be. I am willing to let go of my pictures of what I though sixty would be and embrace what is. Maybe that will be one of the bennies of my sixties. I finally see that holding on to my pictures of what I thought anything would be takes way more energy than I have. It is easier to get curious about how things are and embrace that. What is a picture that you are ready to let go of? How about putting it in your dead picture book? If you did what would that leave you space to open to?

No comments: