Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Possibility

I am so very happy to be writing this blog. My heart expanded with delicious joy waking up this morning and having my first thought be that Barack Obama will be president. We did it! Oh Goody!
Yesterday when I was canvassing I was exhausted and as I neared the end of my list, I wondered if anything I was doing made any difference.Last night I could see the impact of all of our energy on the outcome of this election. An idea starts with a possibility. Someone says, "What if Barack Obama could be our next president?" Some of my friends recognized his potential at this stage. I did not. I never thought he could win and I wanted someone who could win. The committment of the small group of people who believed in Barack from the beginning began to grow.Collective energy begins to build and with enough support the possibility becomes an idea.Then it takes more and more people and more and more energy and more and more money to bring an idea into reality. Whether you forwarded e-mails worked for the campaign, voted or provided a different truth, we all made this happen. I am so glad to be an American today.Listening to Barack speak last night I was struck by his respectful attitude toward other people. He carried this attitude with him throughout this campaign. He was advised to be tougher, which in this political arena means more competitively negative about the other guy. He wasn't. He let who he is shine through and allowed people to recognize him for the merits of his character. In his acceptance speech he said, A government of the people, by the people for the people shall not perish from this earth." The founding fathers had high hopes for this country. I have high hopes tonight. Listening to Barack acknowledge his wife I was moved to tears at the depth of his love and respect for her as his best friend and the love of his life. I am as excited for her to be in the white house as I am for him. Together they can model a relationship of equals.
Last year when I went to Mexico I felt ashamed of my government and eager to point out that there were plenty of Americans who didn't agree with George Bush. Later this month when I go to Mexico again I will feel proud of being from the US. I will share my excitement about our new president to be and the fact that we elected him. There is a lot of work to be done and today is for celebrating. What does it take to move a possibility to an idea? Are there any possibilities brewing inside of you that need a voice? My daughter Monnya and I are leaving to go visit my Mom and my sister in New Mexico Friday morning very early so I may not write until Monday.

No comments: