Saturday, February 2, 2008

Speaking from our souls

When a great ship is in harbor and moored it is safe, there can be no doubt.
But that is not what great ships are built for.

That quote really moved me. It was in an article by Clarissa Pinkola Estes saying that we are here in this time for a reason. She encourages us to speak from our soul. That means to act with mercy toward each other and to have courage at the same time. This brings to mind how I sometimes make myself small, playing it safe, about what I have to contribute to others. When I think my holistic counseling or yoga class or laughter yoga or for that matter this blog, might be useful to someone, it is easy for me to talk myself out of mentioning any of them.
I tell myself it is pushy or arrogant. Underneath is my fear of putting myself out there and getting rejected. If I were speaking from my soul with a combination of acting with mercy toward others and courage, I would at least give more people the opportunity to know what I have to offer. What I have to contribute to others is what I came here to do. What would it be like to push pass my fear of rejection and share more freely? Having a calling includes informing others about that calling. Feel the fear and do it anyway. What would it look like for you to speak from your soul more freely in your life? Is there someone in your life who you love dearly and are shy about saying it? When someone needs help do you tell yourself it would be presumptuous of you to help? How are you playing it safe? What might a small next step be?I am grateful to have the honor of sharing my inner life with you in this blog. Let's support each other in speaking from our souls and launching our ships out to sea.

No comments: