Monday, October 20, 2008

Wedding

Saturday Gary and I went to an amazingly beautiful wedding. My friend was marrying her longterm partner. They are both part of an accapella singing group called Sound Circle that performed at the ceremony. They musically celebrated the couple's love. It was heartwarming. As part of the ceremony, the guests were asked to share their wishes and blessings for the couple. There was such a moving outpouring of love, as people shared their truth from their hearts, that they passed around boxes of kleenex for all of us crying. The minister kept reminding us all to breathe because it was such an intensely emotional experience. I could palpably feel the love of the couple for each other and from the community for them. Energetically everyone was basking in this love. Creating that depth of love together, a feeling of closeness arose among the participants, even though I knew almost noone.
All of the guests were asked to continue holding the couple in love as they moved into their married life together. I have never seen two people so unadulterately pleased to be marrying each other. When their vows were over my friend said,"We're married!" as if it were the most amazing and wonderous thing that had ever happened to her. I felt so grateful to be invited to share in this joyous event.
Afterwards in addition to my sense of well-being, I was aware of the injustice that two people who love each other so much and have already created a rich full life together and are the respective mother and step mother of two children can't be legally married.
I am sad that in most states in this country loving couples are denied the right to a civil marriage ceremony because they happen to share the same gender. I thought about how freeing it must have been for the women there who were in couples to express their affection for each other in a community of acceptance and celebration. It's something I take for granted. I don't think I will in the same way again. Maybe one day everyone's love will be celebrated as the love that it is. None better or worse. Thanks for listening. I'm glad I can share this with you.

No comments: