Saturday, August 24, 2024

Do something

 Michelle Obama, in her inspiring speech at the Democratic National Convention this week directed all of us watching to do something instead of only talking about electing Kamala Harris as our next President. 

Writing this blog is something I can do.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the convention. The first night my sister was visiting and we watched together. We grew up with the value of tikkun olam or healing the world as a major value in our Jewish family. We both know how thrilled our dead mother would have been to have a female president. 

We watched the state roll call for nominating Kamala. Even though it was symbolic, the building of positive energy and pride in each state was palpable. And it was such fun! Feeling the momentum of joy build from the first night through the whole four nights was such a powerful experience in my body.

All different shades ages and walks of life were represented. And so many vibrant strong articulate women of color speaking their truth with passion.

The second night was highlighted by Michelle and Barack Obama. Michelle’s fiery speech was about the choice between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris and the very real need for action to support our democracy. Barack followed Michelle. I loved when Barack said he was the only one stupid enough to speak after Michelle Obama. 

I remembered how hopeful I felt campaigning for Barack for both his terms. What I feel now is strong hope again. My song We Are All One felt like it was coming true in the unifying energy of the convention.

The third day was highlighted by Tim Walz’s folksy realness. I felt the love his family has for him and learned that his son Gus is neurodiverse and his daughter is named hope. Tim and Gwen Walz named their daughter Hope because of the many challenges they faced with infertility and their eventual success with several rounds of in vitro fertilization. The personal glimpse into the lives of the people speaking made them feel accessible to me.

Although the warnings about Donald Trump’s goals of authoritarianism  were woven through the entire convention, they were’t delivered with a mean spirited or derisive energy. I appreciated that. The convention was about celebrating Kamala Harris and uniting our country behind shared responsibility for all of us. I was reminded of Thict Naht Nahn’s concept of interbeing, which means we are all connected. I heard very little booing. The focus was on celebrating the possibilities we can create together.

The last night of the convention was about Kamala Harris and introducing her to us. I learned that Thursday August 22 when Kamala accepted her party’s nomination for president was also her 10th wedding anniversary with Doug Enhoff. Hearing about their blended family I was moved to explore more and learned that Kamala became the courageous stepmother to two teenagers in 2014. Also I learned that the children’ s biological mother Kristen collaborates in their three prong parenting model and is an ardent supporter of Kamala and Kamala’s campaign.

I found Kamala’s speech to be touching and reassuring and motivating. She was warm and direct and clear about her values and goals. She was accessible and open. I felt like I knew who she was and liked who she was. Her speech was powerful and successful in presenting herself well to all of us watching. People were calling her a joyful warrior. It so seemed to fit her. Her toughness and tenacity were in full bloom yet her joy radiated also. 

I am so excited for Kamala Harris and Tim Walz to be running this country. I know it will take a lot of hard work on this campaign to get there.  I am visualizing Kamala Harris with her hand on the Bible being sworn in in January of 2025. I am imagining how thrilling it will feel in my body to have the first woman of color being sworn in as president of the United States of America.

Thank you for listening. I ask for help from wherever it is available to give all of us who want Kamala Harris to be our next president, the energy to do what it takes to make it happen.

No comments: