Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bliss bit

This from Svaroopa yoga with some help from my imagination: Bliss bits. The bliss bit for this month is the yogic sigh. This sigh is different from the commom variety exasperated sigh and bears no resemblance to the sad expiration of resignation.
Inhale deeply so that your chest and stomach and back are filled up. Imagine a time when you felt joyful and satisfied even if only for a moment. Let your expiration out with a sigh remembering that time. Inhale deeply again opening your heart, your stomach and your spine from bottom to top. Exhale with a sigh and think of something or someone you feel grateful for. Let yourself experience this sigh of gratefulness filling your heart. The third sigh is breathers choice. You can breathe in peace and sigh out stress. You can breathe in the desire to release toxins and sigh out those toxins. You can use your brilliantly creative imagination to make up the content of your third sigh or just sigh for the sheer fun of it. When I do these three yogic sighs it is like giving myself permissiion to feel joy and to do my lungs' own little happy dance. These graceful sighs start out with a higher pitch and slide down to a lower one. It is relaxing and I feel more peaceful. It is fun to reframe something I have attached a sad story to. Maybe it would be like farting for approval. Strip off that story and sigh your way to contentment. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
I am realizing that the opposite of doing it wrong is relaxing. For so long I thought it was doing it right. When I am relaxed it isn't important to prove that I am an asshole by convincing myself of my inherent inadequacy and incompetence. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Relaxing! When I am more relaxed I get my inherent lovability so much more. When I am relaxed it is easier to receive love and acceptance from myself and others.What helps you relax? Would you be willing to say or do or think whatever that might be to nurture yourself toward more relaxation. Ahhhhhhhhhhh a sigh of self-acceptance and of being glad to be me. Life is good. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh a bit of bliss.

No comments: