Friday, November 21, 2008

shoe drama

What is up for me tonight is embarrassing because I think it is trite. I like to think of myself as unique and I had a very ordinary dilemma today. I have had the same teva sandles for twenty years. They have served me well. They have been especially well suited to hiking and walking in the water in Mexico. Today when I went to look for them they were nowhere to be found. I poured through my house and my car several times. I realized I could go on my typical blame binge that I have often done when I lose something. I visited the place of urgency and panic when something seems to have disappeared into the black hole of the universe. I decided not to take up permanent residence. I remembered I had just lost my favorite black fleece jacket two weeks ago. I tried on the idea of considering myself a spacey loser and decided to put it back on the rack and cut myself some slack. I am leaving for Mexico on Sunday and it is very challenging for me to find shoes that fit me. I have small very wide feet that look like little bricks. Regular women's shoes rarely fit me. When I buy shoes I usually wear them for a week inside my house to make sure they fit well. I learned my lesson after buying shoes that seemed like they were wide enough and then discovering after wearing them for a while that my feet felt like they were being squeezed in a juicer. I went to meditate and got clear that I could release all of that and go look for shoes. I was willing to see my story about my shoe drama as a story and go out and look for sandles and see what happened. I decided to use my shopping adventure as an opportunity to tune into my inner wisdom about what feels right to me from the inside, to work with my breath to stay as relaxed as possible and to make sure I still went for a walk in addition to seeing my clients. In my late morning shoe excursion I realized that buying sandles in November is like buying warm furry boots in July. They are few and far between. I visited four stores and called one. All I found were several pairs that didn't fit and one possibility of red $90.00 sandles at the place I called. I was disappointed and annoyed that i had spent so much time. Before I saw my last two clients I surrendered to wearing my tennis shoes. Earlier this week I had purchased swimming goggles and noticed I would have rather had a different color. I blew that off in lieu of returning to the store.
When I was done working I decided to return to the sporting goods store, exchange the goggles and check out their sandles. On my feet right now are my new sandles and I have the goggles I wanted. My shoe drama story may be leaving for parts unknown. It hasn't packed its bags yet. Maybe when I leave for Mexico it will leave by separate transportation. What past story have you told yourself that you would be willing to challenge? What would challenging it look like?
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I am so thankful to have all of you to share my soul with. I will write again when I return from Mexico after Wednesday December 3rd. If you have a hankering to read my blog between now and then go back to the list and read one whose title jumps out at you. Love to all of you, Andrea

No comments: